GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY OF A SESSION CHAIR:
- Introduce the session, and then each author/paper-title before the video playback;
- Take chat questions from Q&A panel window during the presentation;
- Read the questions to the presenting author during the Q&A period with absolutely no delay on the allocated Q&A slots;
- Conclude the session and check attendance;
- Make sure the time is not violated (very important!!!!)
DETAILED WEBEX GUIDE FOR SESSION CHAIRS
INITIAL WEBEX SETUP:
Please install WebEx extension to your browser in advance.
Note: It is recommended to install a browser extension as WebEx events are supported better on an extension. We also note that the extension only works on some versions in Linux System.
For MAC users, please enable Security and Privacy Permission for Webex. Support Information for MAC OS and Webex can be found here.
BEFORE A SESSION:
- Please make sure to have the presenters’ vitals printed somewhere to introduce them timely before each presentation.
- Although the authors will conduct live presenations, pre-recorded may be available in case if of disruption; the host (ComSoc staff) will play the pre-recorded presentations available if it was submitted by the author. If no pre-recorded presentation is available, please move on to the next presenter.
HOW TO JOIN A SESSION:
- An invitation email will be sent before the session. You will be provided with the required credentials before the conference.
- Using the invite, you can join a WebEx session by clicking on the link to join the meeting.
- If you are joining the session before the host has started the meeting, please wait in the lobby until the host starts the session.
DURING THE SESSION:
- Please join the session at least 10 minute in advance, please test your microphone once joined so that the session can start on time.
- We recommend that you turn on your video to engage the attendees during the sessional introduction. This can be done by selecting video connection when joining a WebEx meeting as shown below.
- After introducing the session and the first presenter, we recommend you turn off the video so that the attendees can focus on the talk video.
- You can manage the attendee by clicking on the “View all attendees” link under the Attendee panel.
SESSION CHAIR RESPONSIBILITY Q&A:
- As organizers, we would like to ensure a smooth and productive virtual conference.
- During the replay of presentation video, please keep track of the questions on the Q&A penal on the side-panel on the right of the WebEx window. If not shown, one can click on the icon shown below to enable the Q&A panel.
- Please indicate a question to be answered by “deferring” it. This will generate an autoreply to the question submitter confirming the reception of the question.
- After the video play back, unmute yourself and the corresponding author/presenter only. Please make sure to ask orally the questions and according to the FIFO time they were first submitted. If there are not many questions, feel free ask some of your own.
- Sometimes the audience may need to clarify their question. In that case, it is upon the discretion of the Session Chair to unmute the attendee who placed the question to make clarifications.
- Please be mindful of the Q&A time limits! We cannot introduce delays on the predetermined slots of each session, it will push other sessions behind.
- After the presenter addressed a question, please indicate it is answered verbally.
- Please collect the unanswered questions to the follow-up discussion board at Google Drive and copy them there.
Conferencing, online and in-person can be exhausting! We need to take breaks. We will take breaks. Breaks are built-in to the schedule!
- Stand up and stretch, get a snack, come back refreshed!
- If you leave WebEx on, make sure that your microphone is muted during the break